Friday, July 25, 2008

Pimpin Is Prissy

Rarely does Sean Combs say anything that leaves an impression on me. However, I have to give it to him for "bitchassness". It's running rampant in our communities and many seem to be embracing it as a way of life. I find one of the worst perpetrators of this newly coined phenomenon to be pimps. Yep, you read it right. I'm talking about pimps in general and the "fans" who seem to think being a pimp is the ultimate vocation and a prime example of what a man's man is. He wears the latest pimp finery, he drives a flashy car, and he has a bunch of women fawning over him and waiting to meet his every need. They even give him every dime they earn. I suppose a lot of non-pimping men think, "What's there not to like or admire about a pimp?" Well, that's why I'm here. I am going to tell everyone that being a pimp really isn't all that great or manly.
As stereotypical as it may be, when I see a man walking down the street dressed in a fluorescent color from head to toe, with perfectly coiffed hair caressing his shoulders, and a full length mink coat, I don't think he's on his way to a convention for macho men. Instead, I see a man who appears to be on his way to a convention for female impersonators. I don't like men who look like women but think they are manly. Are you kidding me? How manly can a pimp be when he has a flat iron, long fingernails covered with fiberglass and clear polish, and is drinking from a cup clearly made for an eight year old girl's tea party? That's manly? I don't see this as an example of what a real man should be. I see it as BITCHASSNESS at its best.
Regardless of the evidence of many things effeminate present in the swagger of a pimp, men and women alike admire this guy and many secretly wish to be like him. However, I'm trying to figure out how appearing as a clown in all aspects became the thing to which people aspire. Of course, this isn't the first memo I've missed. I keep wondering how we got to the point where a man who clearly hates women (probably because he isn't one), disrespects himself, his community, and his "employees", who capitalizes off of people when they are in their worst states of mind, and has absolutely no grasp of fashion, became the poster child for manliness. What happened to admiration for well-read men who respect themselves and those around them and who make personal integrity the ultimate goal to be achieved? Was there even really a time like that or am I just imagining again? Real or imagined, I'd love to see this happen today. Out with the bitchassness so we can let the real men through.

1 comment:

NicFAB said...

I need all generations to understand that class and couth are still required not an option. So buy clothes that fit, pull your pants up & keep your coif neat and trim. It's possible to do you while looking like an adult versus a twelve year old or a pimp!