Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Does TV Make You Dumb?

Just recently I heard my coworker say in her most superior voice, "I don't watch a lot of tv. It doesn't even occur to me to come home and turn it on because there are so many other things I could be doing". Well, I thought, good for you but who really cares? What makes one feel that watching less tv implies that one is smarter, better, and wiser than the average bear? While I certainly don't consider myself a tv junkie, one of the first things I do after getting home is turn on my tv. My main motivation is my desire to see if anything major is happening and to assure that I don't have to run and hide under my kitchen table. Hell, sometimes it's even so I can catch one of my favorite shows. Television is so many things to me. It can be fun, educational, and entertaining. It can incite fear, tears of happiness, tears from pain, and even laughter. I would even go so far as to say that in some cases, tv can change one's life. Even though I'm not bound to my home by what may come on tv, I can comfortably say that I like and enjoy television and the last I checked, I'm far from a dummy. I watch tv just about every day and yet I manage to use complete sentences to write this blog. (By the way, a big part of the reason for that is the fact that I had a little Sesame Street in my life.) I guess I did all that fussing to say that tv doesn't make one dumber any more than not watching makes one smarter. The existence of balance and the constant pursuit of knowledge from all sources is ultimately what makes one smart. It is the lack thereof that breeds dummies.

1 comment:

NicFAB said...

Well I hope your coworker listens to the radio or has good friends that will call her in the event of an emergency. If the National Guard is knocking at your door it's usually too late, you should of been gone!