Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Today I'm Conjuring Up Old Will Smith

On my way to work this morning I wondered if anyone besides me remembers Fresh Prince's (yeah, Fresh Prince, not Will Smith) song, "You Saw My Blinker, Bitch". It's what I was mumbling in the car this morning as I realized how much I hate my morning commute and how much my residual grumpiness from the a.m. drive seeps into my attitude when I arrive at work. When work was a place I could reach by public transportation, I would arrive at my building smiling and ready to start the day. Now that I have to travel fifteen miles which takes thirty to forty minutes, I find that I am angry and frustrated upon arrival. Driving to work causes me to have to deal with some of the things I hate like smokers, last minute lane changers, and wiper enthusiasts.
First off, smoking is stupid. It's dangerous. It smells funny. It gives the smoker a most unattractive look between the yellow teeth, blackened lips, and smelly, brown, fingertips. We all know this and even still, lots of people smoke. What I don't understand is why the person driving in front of me feels the need to take a puff then old the cigarette out of the window while driving as if I want to smell it. If you enjoy the increased likelihood of some type of cancer, by all means, be my guest. However, if you can't even stand the smell long enough to smoke a cigarette while driving your car, what makes you think I want to smell it? Don't be a punk. Roll up all your windows, take lots of deep breaths, and enjoy the hot, stifling, stench yourself. It's times like these that I'm glad I don't carry a weapon with bullets in my car. Of course, the smoker isn't the only annoyance. There' s also the last minute lane changers.
How can someone who drives the same way to work EVERYDAY forget EVERYDAY that he/she needs to get off at the same exit each time? If the exit is only half a mile away, why is he in the fast lane frantically mouthing out curse words and gesturing so that everyone else will let him get over? He knew that his your exit before he even left the house! Why didn't he get over a mile back? Sheesh. These people act like their emergency is my problem. I've never cared if a stranger missed her exit. Of course this person isn't the only one on the road.
There's also the windshield wiper fluid driver on the freeway in the morning. I like a clean windshield as much as the next person but I don't like my windshield to be "cleaned" as a result of spray from someone else's car. I respect that the other driver wants to tidy up a bit while going eighty miles per hour, however, I'd like to know is she wouldn't mind going ahead and saving that activity for surface street activity. I'm tired of washing my car and windshield only to have it dirtied up by someone obsessed with cleaning her own car. Damnit, enough is enough.
I spend much of my time in the car angry. This was not a problem when I rode the light rail. Of course then, I didn't have all of this stuff to put in my blog...

No comments: