Friday, June 20, 2008

Plus Size Penance

Even though I'm constantly working on it, these days I teeter between the "average" size world and the "plus-size" world. I've been fortunate enough to be able to avoid the plus size stores so far but am deathly afraid that I'll gain three more pounds and be introduced to a world I don't want to meet. My main fear isn't the health issues that sometimes come along with weight gain. My real concern is the ugly, matronly, tent-like clothes I see in stores and online "made especially for the plus-sized girl". I mean, as if enough pain and inconvenience isn't already attached to being overweight, now we are being punished by being forced to wear the ugliest clothes money can buy. When I look back in history at what used to be considered attractive, I can't help but wonder what happened. When did a nice round belly and full breasts become detriments instead of amazing attributes? Over time what was once beautiful has turned into something ugly, undesirable, and deserving of some of the most hideous apparel anyone has ever seen? I mean, aren't the sneers and rejection enough? Can the plus sized gal at least be allowed to look cute during her discomfort? I really don't think that's too much to ask. It seems to me it's a lot more difficult to attempt staying under the radar when dressed attractively. It's kind of hard to be low key while wearing a tent-shaped top coupled with what appear to be your grandmother's elastic waist pants off the Sears sale rack. I've often considered the possibility of designing pretty clothes for big women but I have no artistic talents and I don't know that clothes can be designed from stick figure drawings. Alas, I suppose my only option at this point is to stay on the treadmill with as much diligence as possible all the while hoping I can make it back into the junior's section and my dignity. A girl can dream.

No comments: