Monday, June 9, 2008

I Know You See Me. Stop Lying.

While I think it sounds sort of nice to say, "I don't even notice color when I meet people. All I see are human beings", it's pure hogwash. I'm sure it makes whoever says it feel politically correct, fair, and non-racist, but really it just makes a person sound stupid. I believe one of the reasons we are all made differently is so that we can enjoy and celebrate each other's differences. I don't want anyone to look at me and not notice I'm a black woman. I'm not ashamed of it by any means and I don't need anyone else to be sorry about it. I love my beautiful black skin, my wide nose, my kinky hair, my ample curves, and my incredibly rich ancestry. I love looking outside of the "norm" and I don't have any problem with anyone else noticing it. As a matter of fact, I welcome it. I'm sure I'm going against the grain, as usual, but I don't think we can notice how much alike we are as humans until we realize how unique we are ethnically.

Noticing one's color has never been the problem in this world. The problem is noticing it, then assigning our negative thoughts and misconceptions to it. Rarely is a person of color viewed and then admired in America. Usually the darker the color of one's skin, the darker the negative connotations. That's where the ultimate mistake is made. I love it when I'm out and I see an ethnically diverse crowd of people. I admire the beauty of other cultures and have always wished the same admiration would apply to me and those who look like me.

It's time we stop pretending don't see color by lying out loud. It's also time we start looking at other people and recognizing who they are without trying to put them in the neat box we've picked out just for them and all those we think are like them. It's time to be color conscious while being blind averse to ignorance.

No comments: