Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Buddy

Some people live a lifetime without ever having one real friend. Sure, they interact with others and maybe even attend social events with folks but at their lowest or highest points they have no one to comfort them or bask in the glow with them. That, to me, is an incredibly sad existence and one I don't think I would be able to endure.
I'm sure some people are friendless because they just give up based on bad experiences. Backstabbing, gossiping, jealousy, envy, and sometimes flakiness can all make a person deem friendship unworthy of her time. Others may not know how to be a friend and therefore never reach out to anyone to forge a close relationship. And, I'm sure there are some who are just too mean and ornery to be bothered with the lives of others. I feel sorry for them too.
I've always been told if one can say he has at least ONE true friend, she is fortunate indeed. I have come to understand and appreciate that saying more the longer I live. Despite the challenges human relationships can present, I have been blessed enough to maintain some of the best relationships with some of the most amazing people. Like snowflakes, one friend is different from the other but all of them serve an important purpose in my life. All of them enhance my life in ways I wouldn't experience if I didn't know how to have and be a friend.
My closest friend lives far away but the distance has never kept us from our bond. She was with me at my lowest point and it never occurred to me to call anyone else. Another friend listens and gives me the logical point of view when I've lost my way. One makes me feel good about letting my hair down and doesn't judge me for it. Still another relates to me through our love of music and movies. The list goes on and that alone reflects how fortunate I am.
Friendships take work like any relationship. Communication, time, connection, and empathy are of the utmost importance. Without those, there is no friendship. There is only the establishment of a superficial politeness based in nothing. Hurt feelings and anger are sometimes a part of it too. However, when a friendship means something the communication kicks in and smooths out the rough edges.
I don't think I'm a perfect friend. Hell, I'm not a perfect person. Nonetheless, I try my best to be a good friend because I value the connections I've made and look forward to the new friendships I will forge in my lifetime. I know everyone doesn't have it like me and for them I feel sorry because there is absolutely nothing like having at least one true friend.

1 comment:

NicFAB said...

Makes my heart clap as I nod in agreement. There is just something about being able to confide the true you in someone else that accepts for just who you are...friendship is a special kind of love and each of us is blessed to know it, cultivate it and cherish it!