Sunday, January 10, 2010

There's An App For That

Since I've begun my efforts to take my educational goals to the next level by transferring to a university, I've found that there are more random and unecessary pieces of paper to fill out than I ever thought possible. A week ago, I met up with a school counselor to get some general information on enrollment and financial aid. The meeting was a simple process. I asked the questions, she provided the answers, I was sent an email with further details, and I was on my way home within an hour. Feeling good about myself and my choices, I decided to begin the "application process" as soon as I got home. Little did I know that the process would take me six hours spread out over three days.
By day two of the torturous application process, I started thinking about how much time we spend filling out slips, forms, applications, and all other silly wastes of trees. At work I have people fill out three different forms in order to get an employment ID card. To enter into the school I want to attend, I had to fill out online forms from three different websites totalling six hours of time I'll never be able to get back. Each time I go to the dentist, I have to fill out a form with the same information from the last time I was there. I can't understand why they don't just ask me if anything has changed while updating the system online.
For each thing we want to accomplish, just about each place we want to eat, the stores where we like to buy clothes, and even the schools where we are educated, there are endless forms. I wonder if there's a way to just fill out one big form that says everything that needs to be said. Businesses could all be linked to one informational network so they can pull up what they need and we could save the lives of millions of trees and save ourselves from endless hours of paperwork. I'd consider beginning the process to accomplish this, but there's probably an app for that too.

No comments: