Monday, January 18, 2010

Marching In Place

Here in Sacramento, there is a MLK march every year. Hundreds of people line up at a designated place and march to a second destination in order to commemorate the freedom marches of their predecessors. There's chanting, singing, and communing. I'm sure it's probably a beautiful thing. However, I can only guess since I don't march. Historically, marching had its place. It signified unity of thought AND action amongst black people who were in a struggle to be granted their civil rights as listed in the Constitution of this great nation. And even though people march today as a respresentation of the marches of the past, there is one very distinct difference; our forefathers marched and then went to work on a course of action while we march today then head over to the nearest IHOP for some pork and pancakes.
Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against marching in general. I just believe it's useless if the work ends once the walk is complete. A march should serve as a type of pep rally. It's a way to get everyone involved on the same page and show the public the one-mindedness of the mission. But after the march is over, the mission must begin. For the past two King holidays I have engaged in community service. While I do make effort to serve throughout the year in various ways, I've made a commmitment to serve on the King holiday in light of the sacrifices made for my well being and prosperity as a black American. I believe this should be an effort on the part of all people with particular responsiblity resting on the shoulders of black folks who are the direct recipients of the benefits created by the shedding of blood and other human suffering on the part of our ancestors. As a result of my fairly new commitment, I get up early on the holiday and march out of my house and on to a community center or other service related hub in order to do some work that will directly impact those in my city who are in need. I usually don't have to give up more than four hours of my day and when I'm done, I'm still able to march, should I feel so inclined. The sacrifices made on my behalf don't enable me to sleep in or spend the day on my couch catchng up on the lost episodes of my favorite show. Those before me got up early and worked late to put me in the position to live better than they ever thought possible. The least I can do is get out of step with the march in order to help someone who has fallen.

No comments: