Monday, August 17, 2009

Stop Or I'll Shoot

Now, I've heard the saying about stupid people bringing knives to gun fights but I have never heard of bringing semi-automatic weaponry to a health care debate. Unfortunately, the new trend seems to be attempting to threaten the President of The United States of America during his push for universal health care by bringing gigantic guns to his town hall meetings. While watching the news yesterday, I saw an idiot wearing a shirt and tie with a large gun on his shoulder and a smaller one on his hip. He chose not to identify himself to the media although he thought he was badass enough to show up to a discussion about health care with two guns attached to his body (can you say, "punk"?). His words were:
"I'm absolutely, totally against health care, health care in this way, in this manner," he said. "Stealing it from people, I don't think that's appropriate."
Um, that's all well and good but no part of him thought it was inappropriate to show up at a Presidential town hall meeting brandishing two weapons? Perhaps it would make more sense to my inner hillbilly if I could see a connection between health care and the right to bear arms. But, try as I might, my little brain just can't marry these two concepts. The only thing I see are people threatening the President in a not so subtle way all under the cloak of the second amendment. I know everything isn't racial, but many things are and I can't help but think that had I shown up at a G.W. Bush health care town hall meeting with a gun strapped to my little brown leg, I would have been tackled, beaten up, and spat upon even with an NRA card, registration card, and a note from my momma. So, I suppose what I'm really wondering is, why the life and safety of President Obama seems to be of less importance than the life, health, and welfare of all previous U.S. presidents. I think I already know the answer to that which is ultimately what has me shaking my head.

No comments: