Thursday, May 28, 2009

Face/Space...It's All The Same To Me

I first learned of Facebook about a year and a half ago and was definitely not excited about it. It had already taken me long enough to get a My Space page and I was enjoying it just fine. No part of me felt the need to reach out and contact a lot of people from my past. I hated high school and have comfortably resolved that the three or four folks I'm still in contact with from that period in my life are all I need. Something about the premise of Facebook sounded so snooty that I was determined to never have a profile there. I didn't want to get sucked into Stuck Up Land. Unfortunately, I recently caved in to peer pressure. I received several email invitations, stern talking to's, and numerous promises that I would love Facebook because it's so much more "grown up" than My Space. Well, I have to say that so far, I don't see any major differences and I certainly don't feel as though I've matured beyond my years by merely having a Facebook page. If Facebook is supposed to be the new "grown up", then I must still be about 16 years old in cyber years.
Perhaps shortsightedness is interfering with my ability to see the unique opportunity I'm supposed to be experiencing with Facebook but I can't help but notice the obvious similarities. I've got friends, I can make friends with their friends should I desire, I can change my message multiple times per day, people can make comments or send me messages...so what's so grown up about that? I've gotten into a pillow fight, been sent numerous alcoholic beverages, been the recipient of a ghetto survival kit, and grooved to an old school hip hop song or two. Yeah, now that I have a concussion from the pillow fight, alcohol poisoning from the free drinks, an abusive relationship with the thug who came with my ghetto survival kit, and a twisted ankle from trying to do the Roger Rabbit, I feel incredibly adult. And, sure, I know that I'm being a bit dramatic about my Facebook experience but I'm merely trying to make the point that so far it hasn't made me feel like any more of a woman than I've always been. And, I have to say that contrary to the new popular school of thought, I still happen to like My Space.
I don't know half the people who are my friends on My Space but that's one of the things I kind of like about it. I have come across some amazing music and underground artists of all kinds. I met a makeup artist who is a really cool person. I've found out about different types of events at home and in surrounding areas. I've downloaded really good free music and found out about concert dates. I've found old friends who I really didn't mind seeing again and I did it all without arrogance, pretense, or pressure. I even found a way to connect with my estranged siblings. I have to say that My Space has been good to me and never once did I feel like I wasn't acting my age. After all, a website can't make me immature. I think that's a behavioral choice I'd have to make myself. Besides, I really think people tell themselves it's more mature to be on Facebook in order to feel better about being a member of an online social site while I can't imagine feeling funny about it at all. Next thing you know, it will all come full circle and purchasing personalized stationary, fine quality pens, and a book of stamps will be the new "mature" way to connect with others. I can't imagine what else could be next especially once all the younguns start fully invading Facebook.
In the meantime, I'll be keeping both pages. I'll enjoy my music downloads and show information on My Space and my pillow fights and drinks on Facebook. After all, it's all about the same to me.

No comments: