Friday, August 15, 2008

Commentatin'

Those who can, do. Those who can't (anymore), commentate. I've been noticing something in sports commentating for a long time but during this year's Olympics it's been even more noticeable than usual. What is the deal with commentators who are no more than overly critical, washed up, envious, haters? While I understand these people are hired not just to commentate but also to analyze, why must they comment on every damn move that seems the tiniest bit wrong? Good grief, it's just so damned annoying. "Yes, Tom, it was a pretty good dive, but Jane's pinky finger was slightly bend while her partner's pinky finger on her right hand was pointing to the west". It's enough to make me want to reach inside my tv and slap the hate out of someone. Of course, I realize what a lot of the problem is. Most commentators either competed in the sport themselves at one time or they were some athletically-challenged young person who couldn't master any sport so he/she spend time in school studying how to insult them if you can't join them. It's just all so irritating. I mean, is it really necessary to comment on every single nuance? Perhaps commentators should try something new like simply saying, "That was awesome!" followed by some much desired silence. I would really like that.

No comments: