Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tell It Like It Is

I'm not sure if I was ever alive for this, but what happened to the days when people spoke the unadulterated truth? It seems that in these days of political correctness, it is not only unacceptable to say things like midget, retarded, or Christian, it is now incorrect to use the word, LIE or any of it's tenses. Over the past few months in watching news headlines I've heard so many synonyms for the word, lie, that I had to revel at the inventive nature of publicists and lawyers. When asked about statements made that he took steroids during his baseball career, Roger Clemons responded by saying his old trainer "misremembered:. When Hilary Clinton was called on her false claims of getting off of a plane and facing sniper fire during her tenure of as First Lady, she said she "misspoke". What the hell is misspeaking and misremembering? Are these words even in the dictionary? What ever happened to a good, plain, old-fashioned, lie? Whatever happened to turning to the dishonest perpetrator and saying, "That's a lie and you know it"? Why are we no longer able to tell people that either A) they don't know what the hell they are talking about or B) they are full of shit? I miss those days even though I believe they've been absent most of my days on this planet. Even though it isn't the most popular way of functioning, I've decided to bring back brutal honesty much the same way Justin Timberlake brought back sexy (thanks, Justin). There will be no misspeaking, misremembering, or mistaken on my watch without me confirming it to really just be a lie or a case of someone not knowing what he is talking about. I figure occasionally hollering out, "That's bullshit!" is the least I can do for my country.

No comments: