Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shut Your Happy Face

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really just a big old meanie. I mean, I'd like to think that I'm friendly (enough), loving to my loved ones, and willing to bask in God's glory. HOWEVER, there are few things at work I find more irritating than the guy who whistles while entering the building everyday and responds to your obligatory "how ya doin'" inquiries with an idiotic grin and a "I'm great! Everyday is a wonderful day! It only gets better as time goes by!". If I hear this guy say that one more time I'm afraid of what I might do. I hope I'm not angry and annoyed because he is happy. That can't be it. I think I'm mostly bothered by the falsity of it all. As important as positive self talk is to me, I just don't find it healthy to smile and lie to yourself and everyone else about everything being peachy when your car note is thirty days past due, your student loan money is late, and/or your son was just arrested and sent to juvenile hall. Sure, being positive and upbeat has its benefits and there is always something for which to be grateful, BUT give me a break dude! The professed perfect life he claims prevents others from feeling comfortable in expressing any problems they may be having. How can you cry on the shoulder of the guy who has never had a bad day? How can you go to that friend for help in times of crisis without being made to feel like a terrible ingrate for being upset in the first place? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to the day when I ask him how he's doing (which, by the way, I now avoid asking most of the time) and he looks sad and tells me he's having a problem. It is then that all will be right with the world.

No comments: