Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Constant Fight

Sometimes I feel like I'm constantly fighting for or about something. In the mornings before work I fight with my sheets and blankets because they don't seem to want to allow me to get out of bed. I fight with my hair because it only wants to look right half the time. I fight with my clothes because for some reason my pants don't want to grow at the same rate as my waistline. And, I fight with all the idiots who seem to be in my way on the road to work. By the time I get to work, I'm just ready to go to my corner, sit on my stool, and have my coach give me a pep talk while spraying cool water on my face and into my mouth. I'm always wondering what happened to the times when my life was much simpler. I'm pretty sure I wasn't always cussing at the car in front of me and frantically honking my horn. I wasn't asking God why he allowed stupid people to be born and I wasn't waking up in the morning trying to figure out when I could squeeze a workout into my schedule so that my disagreeable pants and I could come to a reasonable compromise. I so miss that time. Now life just seems like a consistent struggle. It's a battle between common sense and stupidity, present economic success and my much-needed education, and sometimes a tank of gas and a new pair of amazing stilettos. I feel like Sophia in The Color Purple. "All my life, I had to fight." I suppose the real test is not immersing myself in the fight but occupying my mind with the victory. Alas, easier said than done. However, until I reach that perfect state of resolve, I'll keep my gloves laced up tightly.