Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent Lament

Yesterday I ate a small loaf of sourdough bread slathered in butter, three white chocolate chip cookies, and some brandy fried chicken that had been cooked in a vat of grease. And, while I woke up with heartburn, I have to say it was worth it. All of those foods were a way for me to enjoy my very own Fat Tuesday.
Every year for the past three or four years I've considered observing Lent and each year I manage to forget all about it until about midway through when I hear someone mention it. At that point, I shrug it off and make a mental note to try again next year. Now that I've finally caught it on time, I feel good about my decision to make a personal sacrifice but I'm only 8.5 hours in and I miss my bread, rice, potatoes, and tortillas. I'm depressed about the idea of withdrawal headaches from a lack of carbs, having to constantly remind myself that I can't eat one thing or another, and the chore of having to learn a bunch of new recipes that don't require the very things I love to eat most. I am sad that I may have to refrain from eating out some of the time because the temptation may be too great. Or, I'll be that one annoying person at the table who doesn't eat this or that thing which may encompass the entire meal. I like to think of it as carb quarantine.
Even though I'm feeling more than a bit whiny about my undertaking, I'm also excited. I am challenging my mind and body and improving my spiritual connection. And, if I'm fortunate, I'll also be shaving off a few inches from the spare tire I've been developing over the past few years. Closer to God, closer to my weight loss goal; both seem well worth the sacrifice my taste buds will experience. So, despite my complaining, I know I am doing something good for myself. In the meantime, I'll close my eyes at night and dream of pancakes, a variety of rice dishes, and a mountain of hot french fries covered in delicious salty goodness all while reflecting on the sacrifices made on my behalf. One down, forty five more to go.

No comments: