Tuesday, July 24, 2007

What Happens When A Hot Ghetto Mess Goes Global

If you haven't ever visited the site, chances are you've at least received an email or two (or more) with pictures taken from hotghettomess.com , the bane of black people's existence. I, like many other black people, have looked at the ridiculous pictures, burst out laughing, and forwarded them to my other friends so they too could share in the delight of laughing at someone who doesn't have sense enough to know fashion from a hole in the ground. Yep, it's all fun and games until it comes on BET. According to an article I read on yahoo news, BET's new fall lineup will include a show based on the website, hotghettomess.com, where film clips will be shown of black people acting a fool (because there just aren't nearly enough of these) while a panel of some sort provide commentary regarding the material. Reading that article made me think of how the site is not really funny. It's tragic and embarrassing. Just the mere fact that it's called hotghettomess.com and features mostly pics of inappropriately clad black people should concern us. First of all, why must we equate ourselves with that term? Are black people the only ones who can be a hot ghetto mess? Why isn't there a website for non-hot ghetto messes that features black folks? It was all fun and games until I started getting pictures from the website from my white co-worker. We do share a certain rapport but now I must tell him that he needs to refrain from sending any further hot ghetto messes to me as I find it shameful and a gross misrepresentation of my people. Surely he's always thought it was okay because as black people, we laugh at the emails as if it's cool. Well, now I finally realize it isn't cool. While Reginald Hudlin, the head of programming for BET, may not be wise enough or even care enough about the plight of his people to not perpetuate this existing foolishness, I do have sense enough not to watch it or forward it to others. We have enough problems as it is. We don't need yet another hot ghetto mess.

No comments: