Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tryin' To Get It Write

I just completed my first of what feels like a million courses in my pursuit for an undergraduate degree. I wasn't naive enough to think that it would be easy, but I was just green enough to think I'd actually still have time for a personal life. Unfortunately, instead of a life of part time chillin' and part time schoolin', I've spent the past five weeks attached to my laptop or staring intently at my work pc trying to decipher the other people's crazy talk while attempting to write some of my own. I had classmate drama, encountered countless illiterates, and contemplated paying the price for a plane ticket that would get me to the right town to slap my learning team mate. In the midst of all this drama, the time I usually spend writing was taken up by a mandatory evil. I jotted down subjects I wanted to blog about but never seemed to have one good moment to sit down and type. Lack of writing for my much needed release was definitely beginning to take its toll on me. It all changed when I got some advice from someone dear to me. He told me not to let school stand in the way of my education. At first I thought, "Oh boy, another cliche for me to file away and never use again", but almost as soon as I tried to poo poo his words, they resonated with me. I really spent five weeks of my life so focused on something I had to do that I failed to make time for the thing that I WANT to do. Writing keeps me sane, sharpens my imagination, and releases my tension. Instead of writing for pleasure, I've been spending all of my time writing in order to be able to check a box. The words he spoke reminded me that school is not the only thing that is important. Though it will definitely help me in my future, writing is what continues to help me today. I'm back.

No comments: